The undersigned non-governmental organizations appeal to the Special Procedures mandate-holders to take the following actions:
- Issue a joint public statement calling on the United Nations Human Rights Council to openly condemn all killings based on sexual orientation and gender identity;
- Hold States accountable for failing to take steps to address homophobia and transphobia and to comply with their obligations under international law to promote and protect the human rights of all, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Call States to ensure that prompt, independent and effective investigations are undertaken into all allegations of acts of violence, including those suspected of being motivated on the grounds of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Call States to ensure that the investigations result in the identification and prosecution of individuals responsible for such attacks and that any conviction leads to the imposition of appropriate sanctions.
- Call on States and the relevant UN bodies to work with civil society organizations to undertake comprehensive public awareness-raising and sensitivity campaigns on sexual and gender diversity that condemn anti-LGBT violence and promote respect for the human rights of all people, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity